Friday

Upcycled Crib Mattress to Reading Nook

Here's Evelyn's new favorite place to read before bed. 


If you have been following along for a bit you may remember I got this bed for her off Craigslist a few months ago.


We have been so busy with chickens and summer that I haven't done much indoors but this is one thing I really wanted to get done. I though't I'd just pop the crib mattress in there and call it good. 
Wrong. 
It was a few inches too long. So they had to go.


Yep. I had my hubby cut it off using scissors and wire cutters. I used the batting from the part I cut off to recover the top. 


I cut the corners so there wouldn't be a bunch of extra bulk for the next step.


I tucked it all in all the way around. 


I used the last little bit of the only duct tape we had to tape it down. 


It was probably unnecessary but I taped it down both ways just to make sure nothing was going to shift around and to make sure all the wire ends were covered by duct tape too. 


I slipped the part we cut off earlier right back over the top. I would have taped this down some too but  I ran out of tape! 


I put on the same crib sheet we used before and it fit just fine, not super snug like before but good enough that I don't feel a need to sew it smaller. 


Now it fits PERFECTLY in it's space. 


Evelyn has all of her reading needs ready to go in her little nook. 


Total cost for a perfect little nook? 

$0

That's my kind of project! 

1 comment:

  1. Great job! Way to make a great find an even better one!

    ReplyDelete